Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases.

3 posters

Go down

Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases. Empty Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases.

Post  BigEinMa Mon 15 Mar 2010, 9:07 am

So this is my first post here. I've been looking at this site for a few weeks, and decided to take the plunge.

I've been slowly putting together a basket case titled as a 47 Chief, and I have a few questions regarding the bottom end of the motor.

The bottom end has been built and stored by someone in the past, and for all intents and purposes, seems to have been quality workmanship.

However, based upon past experience, unless I can verify the work done and by who, I will end up having it taken apart and redone.

My question regards the case halves. I'm positive that although this motor has a 47 number and is titled as such, it either has reproduction or later model case halves.
The only reason a newbie like me can say that is because the oil scraper on the bottom end is not there.

There is about a 1/2 inch (aprox) hole on each side of the bottom of the case and I can see through to the other side. it looks like there might be a tube? connecting the holes, but I'm not sure.
The tech manuals show the big sump or scraper, this motor has none of that.

Anyone have any clues here? I've looked for some pics of a 52-53 case to see if this is what I have, but I can't find any, and there is nothing in Jerry Hatfield's book, Starklite's catalog, or even Kiwi's site.
I've heard late model cases with a 47 pump is the way to go if you're so lucky to have late cases.

This is my first Chief. I've ridden Harleys of course, and messed around on my Dad's old 101 when I was a kid, but for the most part, this is all new to me.

I'll be clear here that I'm a newbie and I'll have alot of stupid questions, so if you can all laugh quietly...

Also, my goal is a reliable rider. I'm NOT a judged show fan. Been there, done that with the cars, and I have NO interst doing that with bikes.

So like I said, a RELIABLE RIDER.. Chief Overdrive, 12v CE generator, maybe an oil filter, etc, don't mind mixing and matching 50s stuff with 40s stuff to get the best combination.
Hopefully the outcome will be a nice bike that the average guy will not know has been mechanically upgraded for reliability.

BigEinMa

Back to top Go down

Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases. Empty Re: Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases.

Post  Micmac Sat 27 Mar 2010, 10:15 pm

Really good to see someone else on here! I like this forum, but it can be a ghost town for months at a time. I also am in the process of getting my 47 back together. I am not certain of what holes you are speaking of. I'm not sure if you can post photo's on here, but try and do so.Hatfields book was a waste of 50 bucks for me. I guess if your restoring one for AMCA judging, it's the cat's meow, I ain't. Mebbe 1-2 pages on 47's. I am like you-I'm looking for rideability and function. A book I have found helpful is Benard Nicholson's Modern Motorcycle Mechanics, you want the 1948 edition. These can be found on e-bay from time-to-time, expect to pay around 60 bucks. Yer talking about getting one of those 4 speed tranny? How much are they going for? BTW, no stupid questions, we're all here to learn.
Micmac
Micmac

Back to top Go down

Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases. Empty Re: Looking for some advice on Chief engine cases.

Post  Yellow53Chief Tue 11 May 2010, 12:24 pm

Hi,
Starting in 1948, the Chiefs had a scraper cast into the aluminum case and there was a hole on the left side for a drain plug and a hole on the right side for the pick-up line fitting. The holes are no bigger than your little finger. It kind of sounds like you are describing a 1948 case but there is no scraper cast into the aluminum on the bottom of your case? You can't miss a 1947 right side case because the hole for the steel scraper is about as big as a tennis ball! On the 48 and up cases the holes on the bottom vertical case sides are both threaded for fittings. If your holes are clean with no threads at all, maybe somebody drilled them out for something. Another clue to the 1948 and up case is the pinion shaft bearing outer race. This race can be line-bored straight through to the other side. On the 47 case the pinion shaft bearing outer race is pressed up against a thrust washer and an aluminum flange cast into the case. The best factory picture of the inside of the 48 and later case is on page 7 of the 1944-48 Indian Chief parts book. The best factory picture of the 1947 steel scraper is on page 16 of the same book. If you send me a picture of your cases, I'll see what I can tell but you may have a mystery part. Sincerely, Steven Bailey baiste@sgu.edu

Yellow53Chief

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down