Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

47 Chief gas tanks

2 posters

Go down

47 Chief gas tanks Empty 47 Chief gas tanks

Post  Fredthecat Wed 21 Nov 2012, 12:29 am

New here, building 1947 Chief, been siitting in my garage since 1972 purchase.

I'm soliciting advice for restoration of gas tanks vs repro tanks.

I have the originals in “good-very good” original condition, however, they require full repair service, i.e. taking apart, small dent removal, “Indian” script mounting lug repair, resoldering, sealing body prep, etc. cost of $900-1000.

Reproduction tanks are now available (I remember when they weren’t) for $500-800.
How good are they? Anyone have them? Do they "fit"??

Who makes/sells the best, most accurate reproduction 1947 Chief tanks?

Building a nice rider bike with possibility to be set in coral line at events, not for judged shows.

Rest of original sheet metal is fine-excellent.

Thoughts on new tanks vs originals?

Thanks, Fredthecat

Fredthecat

Back to top Go down

47 Chief gas tanks Empty Re: 47 Chief gas tanks

Post  Yellow53Chief Sun 25 Nov 2012, 7:34 pm

Hi,
One of the best reproducers of Indian tanks and other sheetmetal is Iron Horse Corral: www.theironhorsecorral.com Iron Horse Corral tanks fit as good as any, and very little prep work is needed prior to final paint. A set of 1947 Chief tanks is going for $689.00. The biggest benefit of these tanks over repaired/restored originals is that these tanks are welded and not soldered. These tanks don't leak and there is no need to seal the inside. They can be sealed if you want, of course, but there is no need.
Iron Horse Corral also offers larger 'touring, long distance, Daytona' tanks but if you go the larger tank route you either have to modify the original shifter or buy a whole different shifter. Touring tanks are physically wider, so they look wider and cost more.
Soldered tanks fell out of favor with Indian because the lead seams, especially the long one right over the engine would tend to develop leaks. In 1948, Indian soldered a reinforcement strip of the long seam in an attempt to fix the problem, but ultimately Indian went to silver-soldered tanks on the later hydraulic forked Blackhawk Chiefs.
The vast majority of people who encounter original tanks with problems; opt for the welded steel tanks. You won't regret going with new welded tanks. That is my best advice.

Yellow53Chief

Back to top Go down

Post  Fredthecat Sun 25 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot. Exactly the kind of voice of experience help I needed to get started. New tanks coming.

Thanks
Fredthecat

Fredthecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down